Samsung seems to be using a single source for the chipset in the production of the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S series flagship smartphones. Reportedly, the company will only use Qualcomm’s Snapdragon chipset on the device worldwide.
Based on a report by Sammobile (10/7), this information was first revealed by well-known analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. He said, Qualcomm will likely be the sole supplier of the SM8550 serial number chipset for the Galaxy S23 device.
This decision will be a new era for the South Korean mobile phone manufacturer. The reason is, so far Samsung has continued to use Snapdragon and Exynos chipsets on their smartphone devices. In comparison, 70 percent of the Galaxy S22 units use the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chipset, while the remaining 30 percent use the Exynos 2200 chipset with an AMD Xclipse 920 GPU.
Sammobile says Samsung’s Exynos chipset has been in trouble for the past few years. According to the information, this can not be separated from poor design or a disappointing fabrication process.
In line with this information, Kuo revealed that it was too difficult for Samsung to ignore. Because this Qualcomm-made processor tends to offer a more stable experience and performance in terms of applications and games on mobile phones.
4. Qualcomm/SM8550 will gain more market share in the high-end Android market in 2023. The economic recession affects the high-end market less, so the market share gain will significantly benefit Qualcomm and TSMC.
— 郭明錤 (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo) July 8, 2022
“S23 may not adopt the Exynos 2300 made by Samsung 4nm because it can’t compete with the SM8550 in all aspects,” Kuo wrote on his personal Twitter account.
Through the decision from Samsung, Qualcomm’s market share in the high-end segment is predicted to increase. This seems to also strengthen the chipset company’s dominance in the Android market globally.